12:44:00 AM

Large, Bright Blue/Green Florida Meteor Fireball ~9:42 P.M. EDT 20JUN2011

Florida Meteor Fireball-9:42:35 PM EDT 
20JUN2011 (01:42:35 UTC 21JUN2011)
Imagery Below Courtesy Dwayne Free-Florida Institute of Technology-Sandia Sentinel Fireball Camera Network

in this image, the rightmost streak is an aircraft


Email From:
Angela B.-Seminole, FL:
Hello!!! Yes, I saw this!!!! I can't believe it!! I thought it was a firework, but it was too high, too quiet, and lasted too long!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! No one believed me when I said I saw the BRIGHTEST shooting star EVER, so I decided to Google it and found your blog!!! WOW!! I didn't realize it was a meteor fireball!! Anyway, for details....I live in Seminole, FL (Pinellas County). I took the dogs out about 9:50-ish PM EDT on Jun 20th, 2011; the fireball came from the west and was traveling east across the sky. I did not hear any noises. It was BIG and very BRIGHT, and FAST!!! It was a bluish-green in color!! I kept waiting in hopes of seeing another one!! It was PHENOMENAL!!! I thought I was dreaming and didn't really see what I thought I saw!! LOL! Thanks, Angela B.

S. Ellston-Anna Maria Island, FL:
I witnesses a meteor on June 20, 2011 at approximately 9:45 pm. I was on Anna Maria Island, Florida. I noticed it to the northeast, moving from left to right.  At one point a sizeable chunk appeared to break off and slow quickly in the tail.  It appeared to land east from Anna Maria. Meteor was bright. Maybe white tinged with green or blue. Orange tail.

Carol G.-Sarasota FL:
Hello , Three of us saw a fireball or a shooting star it seemed to come very close and then burned up June 20 2011 around 9:50 p.m. EDT. Has any one else see this tonight?
Thanks,  Carol G.

Rev. Carol R.C.-Marion County, FL:
From The Villages in Lake and Marion County in Florida.  We saw the shooting star at about 9:50 p.m.  It was bright yellow with a huge fireball and a tail of light that extended a good distance behind.  I heard no sound.  It was clearly visible for approximately 10 seconds.  It moved from right to left with a downward (fairly steep) trajectory.  I was facing southeast.  It was an incredible sight. 

From F.I.T.S Inquiries:
Deltona, Florida arrived from google.com on "elp allsky" by searching for the shooting star (meteor) that occurred june 20, 2011.
23:27:26 -- 1 hour 27 mins ago

New Port Richey, Florida arrived from google.com on "elp allsky: Jun 20, 2011" by searching for meteor seen on 6/20/2011.
22:59:36 -- 1 hour 53 mins ago

Oviedo, Florida arrived from google.com on "elp allsky" by searching for what was the flash of light in the sky tonight in central florida june 20th 2011.
20:39:14 -- 4 hours 13 mins ago

***If you witnessed this fireball, please email wxtx01@gmail.com with details. Please include time, date, your location, which way you were facing, direction the object traveled (left to right etc.), color, any fragmentation, sounds (booms, sizzles, hisses etc.). Thank you!***


No comments:

Post a Comment